Sunday, July 24, 2011

Spice Rack Bookshelves

This is one of the projects I've wanted to do for a long time and it's finally complete!  I saw the idea on Domestic Simplicity.  You take an IKEA spice rack, mount it on the wall and use it as a book shelf.  It makes for a colorful book display and little arms can safely reach all the books.  

Finding the BEKVAM Spice Racks turned out to be the hardest part.... well, that and one shelf just didn't want to cooperate. (I may have patched 4 holes before it was finally level--sshhh don't tell)


My little helper chose to sit IN his racetrack toy while he watched me work... maybe he's trying to tell me that he wants his own personal reading chair. :O)


Since having the shelves up, he's become much more interested in his books. Pre-bookshelves, we read books when I said it was story time. Now, he'll pull books off the shelf and bring them to me. He already knows that the elementary school teacher in me absolutely cannot say no to reading. Most days, I end up  reading every single book to him... sometimes more than once! 


And, he "reads" to himself.  I'll find him in his room (with books scattered from one corner to the other) making the animal noises or pointing to the babies in the pictures. He'll even sign the words in his sign language book. I'm so proud! 

3 comments:

  1. Love these!!!! I may have to copy your idea for SB. I guess an Ikea trip is in order now. We've been trying to come up with an idea for more bookshelves in her room for a while now. Thanks for the great idea, Brittany!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a laser level? I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea! I have also made some and have posted a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete